Children's Court New South Wales

Interpreters and translators

Contacting the Children's Court by telephone

If you or someone you know needs an interpreter when you contact the Children's Court, use the free Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS). Call 131 450 and tell them the telephone number you need to contact. An interpreter will call the number while you are on the phone and translate what the person on the line says to you.

Need an interpreter for court?

In most cases the Children's Court can arrange an interpreter for your court appearance. The cost of the interpreter will be paid for by the court.

If you are not sure whether an interpreter can be arranged for you, contact the registry of the courthouse which you will be attending.

To request an interpreter, contact the relevant registry as soon as possible before the date you need to attend court. If you are in court, tell the judicial officer or the court officer that you need an interpreter. An interpreter will be arranged for your next court appearance.

Translation services

If you need documents translated for a court matter, you can arrange a translator through Multicultural NSW language services, or any accredited independent translator.

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship provides a free translation service for non-English speaking people settling permanently in Australia. This service can be used only by eligible people in the first two years after entry to Australia.

Last updated:

08 May 2023

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top