Children's Court New South Wales

Legal help with care and protection cases

For children

Legal Aid's Care and Protection Service provides free legal representation to all children and young people involved in care proceedings before the Children's Court.

For parents, guardians and carers

Any party to Children's Court proceedings can obtain assistance from a duty lawyer on the first occasion that the matter is before the Court.  Duty lawyers are available at children's courts throughout the state.  Duty lawyers either work for Legal Aid or are private lawyers paid by Legal Aid to help you.

Ongoing representation at court is available through Legal Aid's Care and Protection Service. This service provides parents and other adult parties with representation in the Children's Court if they are eligible for a grant of legal aid.  For assistance in applying for legal aid or determining whether you are eligible, go to Applying for Legal Aid.

Aboriginal Legal Services (ALS)

The Aboriginal Legal Service provides Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander parents and parties with representation in court, advice and information, and referral to further support services.

Law Society of NSW

If you are not represented by Legal Aid, the Law Society provides an online search to help you find a qualified lawyer suitable for your matter. You will need to pay fees for the lawyer. See the Law Society of NSW Solicitor Referral Service.

Last updated:

05 Sep 2023

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top